Thursday, November 13, 2008
MLB Free Agency Looming
Free agency is nearly upon us. What should we expect from the Blue Jays? A variety of scenarios abound...
1. Uncle Roger will blame a weak Canadian Dollar on the fact that he cannot spend money.
2. AJ Burnett will stay in Toronto. (fingers crossed he doesn't!!!!!!!)
3. JP Ricciardi will continue to diss Johnny Mac and sign another crapola shortstop of the Eckstein ilk.
4. Lyle Overbay seems on the wayout, leaving the obvious money going to a new first baseman with some pop.
5. At least one starting pitcher will need to be signed. ESPN seems to think it will be Brad Penny due to his ties with pitching coach Brad Arnsberg.
6. Designated Hitter rumours of the Giambi variety are floating.
7. Trade BJ Ryan to clear salary for a bigger move. (Please, please, please, please..)
8. But let me state the thing that the vast majority of Jays fans are thinking. I apologize if this is completely and utterly obvious.... but we want the wow factor. Remember the year the Jays signed Roger Clemons and you were like "fuckin A right!"
Well this time instead of picking up a guy who shoots roids in the butt, lets offer Manny Ramirez a guaranteed 4 year contract. Not only is he awesome on the field, I defy you to read this article and tell me he is not also the balls off it.
Without a truly outstanding offseason the Jays could sink to fifth in the division. I don't want to have to curl up in the fetal position and weep.
Our lives are in your hands Mr Rogers, Beeston, Ricciardi dudes. Give Cito something to work with. Sing it with me now - "Ok, Ok, Blue Jays, Blue Jays, let's, let's, play, play, ball."